The Illinois Association of Regional Superintendents of Schools (IARSS) is proud to bring you our 2020 Illinois Educator Shortage Study and associated materials.
For several years, we have partnered with Goshen Education Consulting and higher education experts to survey schools across the state about the shortage of educators and to report our findings. This year, we have enhanced and expanded our report.
We have worked with Goshen to build this exciting online dashboard allowing users to dig deep into our Fall 2020 survey results. Please watch this video for a quick explanation of how to use the dashboard.
Access our Media Materials supporting the March 1 release of the report: news release, fact sheets, and social media content.
Our recent Educator Shortage reports:
Educator Shortage Podcasts
In a follow up to the rollout of the 2020 IARSS Educator Shortage Survey, IARSS President Mark Klaisner recently met in Springfield with members of the group’s committee that helped put this year’s report and policy recommendations together. Here are their podcast conversations about this year’s work.
Illinois legislature is paying attention to the educator shortage. Below are bills that were passed in Spring and Summer 2021 related to the educator shortage.
SB1989, sponsored by Sen Patrick Joyce (D-Essex), amends the Downstate Teacher Article of Illinois Pension Code regarding number of hours a retired teacher may work without impairing retirement status
SB 662, sponsored by Sen Gillespie and Fine, awards scholarships for Master of Social Work Educator License
HB2569, sponsored by Sen Windhorst, incorporated changes to TRS to allow retired teachers to return to classrooms
HB597 – Student Suicide Prevention
SB1646 – Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS) Private School Credit and 6 percent summer school exemption
HB3474 – Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) Board of Trustees
HB816 – Parental leave
SB2800 – Increased education funding and full pension payment
HB12 – Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) coverage for education support staff
SB814 – Induction and Mentoring Program
- Chicago Public Schools bus driver shortage continues, families concerned about student safety
- Jacksonville-area school districts finding short-term solutions to vacant positions
- Golden Apple Accepting Applications
- Scholarship to address shortage of STEM teachers, need for diversity
- Lake County school districts to use state grants to recruit, retain teachers - Chicago Tribune
- Harlem School District receives more than $300K to address teacher shortage - WREX
- ‘Meeting the challenge’: D-200 schools managing to deal with continuing bus driver shortage
- Harlem School District receives more than $300K to address teacher shortage
- Unit 4's new pitch to new bus drivers: Work for us, get $2500 sign-on bonus | News
- District 47 to host job fair this week in efforts to fill paraprofessional and bus driver vacancies
If you have any questions or would like more information, contact IARSS Educator Shortage Committee Chair John Meixner at email@example.com, or Goshen Education Consulting’s Tom Withee at firstname.lastname@example.org.